Life is filled with difficult situations. Prayer is a powerful tool to give us God’s strength and wisdom during tough times. Keep reading to learn the power of prayer and Bible verses to help you pray confidently and boldly in difficult seasons for yourself and your family members.
In my life I’ve walked through some hard and challenging situations–some were more physically and some were more emotionally challenging–but my faith grew like never before during those hard times.
I NEEDED God constantly. So I prayed constantly using Scriptures as my guide and framework to be honest about my situation and ask God for His strength and help.
What is the best prayer for a very difficult situation?
Any honest prayer is the best prayer in hard times and good times. You can tell God your feelings about the situations and even your doubts and struggles to believe. Simple prayers are good prayers. Short prayers are good prayers.
One amazing short prayer to pray in a hard season is the one prayed by the father of the son filled with an unclean spirit found in Mark 9:14-29. This man brought his son to Jesus for much-needed healing; his life was in danger due to this spiritual and physical affliction.
And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” -Mark 9:23-24
If you are struggling in a difficult season to have faith and keep believing this is the perfect pray to start praying.
10 Powerful Prayers for Strength During Difficult Times
Use these powerful passages of Scripture to pray for strength and peace in the face of adversity and in your daily life in the “ordinary” difficulties and problems that arise.
1. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. -Psalm 46:1-3
Heavenly Father, You have offered yourself to us as a refuge. You are the only place I can think to hope right now. Be near to me. Help me because this situation is too overwhelming for me to handle on my own. I’m feeling fear and anxiety, but I want Your peace. Help me know you love me and are strong enough to hold and help me through this time. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
2. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10
Dear God, fear and dismay are threatening to fill my soul. I’m asking for Your support and unconquerable protection in my life. Help me, Jesus. Hold me up when my mind, body, and soul want to give up. Bring relief and release fear. In the name of Jesus, Amen.
3. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. -Hebrews 4:16
Dear Lord, I need your mercy and grace today. I feel like I can’t even function things are so hard. Give me peace of mind–help my brain to stop buzzing and settle down into your love and plan for me. Let Your grace and mercy flow through my words and actions–even when others don’t deserve it. I know You hear me and I’m confident you care. Amen.
4. The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe. -Proverbs 18:10
O Lord, I’ve got my running shoes on today and I’m booking it to you. Keep me safe just like you promised. May the name of Jesus Christ the Lord and the power of the Holy Spirit guard my coming and going. For both me and my loved ones I pray this–Amen.
5. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. -2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Christ Jesus, I feel uncomfortable and afflicted today. You know the hurt of what I’m going through and I’m asking for Your comfort and encouragement today. It hurts. Help me believe that You are doing something good here. Bring cheerful and uplifting things into my path today. Give me the courage to stay hopeful even in these challenging times. Amen.
6. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. -Proverbs 3:5-6
Father, my path doesn’t feel straight or smooth today–the road feels rough and long and I’m weary. I have nowhere to lean but on You. I wish I didn’t have to walk this road, but I trust You, O God, with all my heart. I can walk any path as long as You are with me. Guide me and strengthen me today. In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.
7. For this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” -Nehemiah 8:10
Lord, some days are grievous and heavy and all we want to do is weep. May your joy strengthen and hold us and bring us to hope when we aren’t strong enough to keep going on our own. Amen.
8. Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of many kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. -James 1:2-4
Almighty Father, the pressures of life and what I’m going through is so overwhelming. But I believe you can bring good things to life in me through this difficult season. Grow my faith. Grow my steadfastness. Give me complete trust that You love me, You are good to me and I lack nothing truly valuable as long as I have you. Amen.
9. The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him. -Nahum 1:7
Father God, be my source of strength as I go about my life today. I acknowledge You are good no matter how my life feels and no matter what situations you face. I’m so thankful You know me–my ins and outs, my thoughts and feelings, my best days and my worst days are all intimately known by You. Amen.
10. Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. -Psalm 143:7-8
Lord, I need You like never before. I feel desperate and fearful when I think about everything I’m going through. Your love is my steady anchor in this season. I know I can trust how much you love me. Show me the right next thing to do in my life in general and in this challenging situation in particular. I trust You always. Amen.
5 Extra Resources to Build Your Prayer Life
- FREE Bible Study Confidence Kit with Prayer Journal
- How to Pray: A Beginners Guide with Examples
- The Breath Prayer Guide for Beginners
- A Powerful Abundance Prayer to Pray Everyday
- Prayers of Rest: Daily Prompts to Slow Down and Hear God’s Voice