God’s faithfulness is one of His richest character attributes and promises to His children. Allow these 25 Bible verses about God’s faithfulness to give you confidence and courage.
Definition of Faithfulness in the Bible
The word faithfulness in English means…
- Lasting loyalty and trustworthiness in relationships.
- The fact or quality of being true to one’s word or commitments.
- Being dedicated and steadfast in performing one’s duty.
The Hebrew word “Emuna” is translated faithfulness in the Old Testament. It is a feminine noun meaning firmness, steadiness, fidelity, and trust. It is sometimes translated “truth” as well.
The Greek word “Pistos” is translated faithful or faithfulness or believing. Other uses are “sure” and “true”. This word is used of both God’s followers being faithful to Him and He being faithful to them.
Learn more about God’s promises like faithfulness
God’s faithfulness is both who He is and what He does! It’s one of the great promises of God in the Bible!
If you want to dive deeper into studying the promises of God check out my Claiming the Promises of God Bible study! 4 weeks of reading and meditation on God’s promises combined with a daily worship playlist and 4 Bible teaching video lessons.
25 Best Bible Verses About God’s Faithfulness
1. Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.
Our God is a God of faithfulness –what a beautiful promise of God’s character remaining absolutely faultless, just, and faithful.
2. Joshua 21:45 Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled.
Even though this verse doesn’t have the word faithfulness in it, God’s faithfulness is highly evident in keeping every promise to Israel, especially over their deliverance from Egypt and journey to the promised land.
3. Psalm 33:4 For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.
Every single action God takes is sure and steady. Every word He speaks is always good and true. People let us down–but God will never let us down in the ways that matter most. He keeps every promise, always. His unfailing love will never quit.
4. Psalm 36:5 Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
God’s faithfulness is immeasurable. As a human being it’s hard to even wrap our mind around how extensive God’s faithfulness is to His beloved children. Even the most faithful person on earth is fallible and limited in their scope of their ability to be loyal loving no matter what. That isn’t the case with God.
5. Psalm 40:10-11I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation.Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord; may your love and faithfulness always protect me.
This psalm of David reminds us to keep speaking the truth of our heavenly Father’s faithfulness and that the steadfast love and faithfulness of God is actually actively guarding the lives of His children. His love and faithfulness provide a shield of protection for our lives.
6. Psalm 89:2 I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
7. Psalm 119:90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures.
God’s Word, along with His faithfulness will never be shaken. It is fixed and firm and completely trustworthy.
8. Isaiah 25:1 Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago.
I love the word “perfect” paired with faithful in this verse. God’s faithfulness is without fault or flaw–it is complete and pure.
RELATED: THE GLORY OF GOD AND WHAT IT MEANS FOR YOUR LIFE
9. Isaiah 33:6 He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure.
“Sure foundation” is the interpretation of the Hebrew “Emuna” in this verse. What a beautiful word picture! God’s faithfulness is the bedrock on which we can build our lives.
10. Lamentations 3:23-24 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, for his his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
This is perhaps the most famous verse about God’s faithfulness! The hymn “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” is based off these beautiful verses. God’s mercy and love are as faithful to us as the sun is to rise each morning.
11. Hosea 2:20 I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the Lord.
Hosea writes of God wooing unfaithful Israel back to His side in the wilderness. Then He will heal the land from the years of unfaithfulness by Israel and pledge a new covenant to her in righteousness, justice, love, compassion, and FAITHFULNESS.
No matter how many mistakes Israel made, no matter how many mistakes we make–God is faithful and He showed His faithfulness by sending Jesus to the cross to pay the penalty for all of our unfaithfulness. When we confess our sins and seek forgiveness, believing Jesus was teh son of God sent to rescue us from our own lostness, we become God’s children.
If you’ve never made that decision before it is as simple as saying, “Yes, Jesus I want to follow you. I don’t want to live for me any more–want to surrender my life to You, God.”
12. 1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
God’s faithfulness calls us into relationship, into a family where. wecan experience love and growth together.
13. 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way of escape so that you can endure it.
God sometimes allows us to be tempted, but even in those situations He proves His faithfulness. God is near and providing for us, even when we are tempted.
RELATED: 40 BEST BIBLE VERSES FOR OVERCOMING TEMPTATION
14. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
One of the fruits or results of living life God’s way is His Spirit empowering us to not only receive God’s faithfulness, but extend it to others.
15. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.
The context. of this passage is talking about growth in Christ-likeness called sanctification. God not only commands us to become more like Jesus, but He is sure and steady to help us in the process.
16. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.
God is faithful to protect us from spiritual attacks from the devil.
17. 2 Timothy 2:13 if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself.
This is part of a saying. or possibly even a common song in the early church. Tony Evans in his Bible Commentary says this about the verse,
“When our faith grows weak or even fails, God remains true to his promise to save us through Christ.”-Tony Evans, The Tony Evans Bible Commentary
18. Titus 1:9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.
God’s Word and especially good news of Jesus is completely trustworthy or faithful and must be held to firmly by Christ followers.
RELATED: 55 PROMISES OF GOD TO CLAIM EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE
19. Hebrews 2:17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.
Jesus is our abiding, steady, true and merciful intercessory. His full humanity and deity made it possible for Him stand in our place and be faithful to us even unto his death.
20. Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold unswervingly to the confession of our hope, for he who promised is faithful
Our hope is worth clinging to because our God is so faithful.
21. Hebrews 11:11 And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise.
Sarah was able to believe God for the impossible not because of any great human faith or faithful action on her part, but simply because she was convinced that God, the promise-maker was faithful.
22. 1 Peter 4:19 So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
When hardships and suffering come into our lives it is easy to question God’s faithfulness. Peter (who was eventually killed for his faith) tells us to stay committed to God. The Message version puts it this way:
“So if you find life difficult because you’re doing what God said, take it in stride. Trust him. He knows what he’s doing, and he’ll keep on doing it.”1 Peter 4:19, The Message
23. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
God’s faithfulness means he will always forgive my sins. There is nothing I can do that will ever separate me from his love and grace for me.
24. Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.
Jesus is the faithful witness, there from the beginning of time, loving us to freedom from sin and elevating us to be a part of his forever kingdom and is deserving of all glory for his faithfulness.
Revelation 19:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war.
The name Jesus calls himself at the end of time is Faithful and True. It’s not just a moniker–it’s who God is to the core of his being. He has always been faithful, true, and trustworthy.
Remember if you want to dive deeper into studying the promises of God check out my Claiming the Promises of God Bible study!
5 Examples of God Being Faithfulness in the Bible through Stories
Individual verses are great at conveying how faithful God is, but you may also want to check out these stories to see how God was uniquely trustworthy in these real people’s lives.
Abraham and Sarah in Genesis 17 and 21
God promised Abraham and Sarah a son, but as month after month passed–Abraham and Sarah took matters into their own hands and still God upheld his promise to them. He would give them a biological son. It seemed impossible because now they were both so old. But God’s promise proved true and the son of promise, Isaac was born.
To Israel in Leading them out of Egypt to the Promised Land
In the books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy and Joshua we find the massive story of God leading Israel from slavery to the “land flowing with milk and honey” promised to their forefathers. Along the way Israel doubts God’s love and promise-keeping ability. They fail once to trust Him and enter into the promised land, but then after faithfully sustaining them in the wilderness for 40 years God brings a new generation (with hearts willing to follow Him faithfully) to conquer and settle in the land of promise.
Job in the book of Job
Job is the story of one man’s tragic loss of riches, family, and health. Job is faithful to God–never disowning his faith, living surrendered to the will of God– even as he questions his loss and hardship. In return God is faithful to Job–restoring his view of God, his relationships, and his blessings.
The Parable of the Lost Son in Luke 15
Like the Father in the story who waited on his lost, unfaithful son to return home, God is faithfully waiting for us when we turn from our wasteful living and come home. The son’s dishonor never changed the way the father felt about him–he was overcome with love and joy at his return and was faithful to restore him to his place of sonship.
The Life of Paul in Acts
Paul is a faithful servant of Jesus after he meets Jesus on the Damascus road. Eventually he becomes a missionary to the non-Jewish world, traveling to Asia minor and even Rome to testify of Jesus saving work as the Rescuer of mankind. God faithfully upheld Paul in his ministry, travels, trials, loss and victories. Pauls writings often mention God’s faithfulness which them compels his people to be faithful to God and engage in faithful relationships with one another.
I hope each of these verses and stories reminded you that God is faithful. Faithfulness is God’s sure steadiness, and despite the hardships of life, despite our sins and failures–He will always be true.
You can boldly choose to follow Christ Jesus at any cost because God will never, ever let you down. His faithfulness is sure and spoken about over and over again in the Bible.
What is your favorite Bible verse about God’s faithfulness?