If you’ve made a fitness related goal for this year there are a couple fun ways I like to stay motivated through the cold and slush and ice of winter. I admit these reasons are mostly shallow, BUT they get me moving!
5 Ways to Stay Motivated this Winter…
- Get new workout clothes. When you look good you feel good and sometimes a new workout top is all you need for that extra push to hit the gym.
- Sign up for a race or event. Your event may not be until April or May, but putting your name (and money!) down for that half marathon or mud run will keep you excited and purposeful in your training. There is nothing like the fear of public shame (of not finishing, being last, giving up) to motivate me to train! Also, don’t be afraid to sign up for a winter race! With the proper gear they can be quite fun and you will never feel more hardcore!
- Buy new shoes. I swear I run faster and want to run more when I get a new pair of running shoes! I almost always buy a fresh pair for each new year!
- Get a buddy. Sign up for your race or event with a friend. Or get a couple girlfriends to take a spin class together or do the same workout dvd program. Their energy will keep you energized and encouraged throughout your training.
- Find a new fitness gadget. A new fitness gadget can help you run faster, step more, and push yourself farther. Using new features and tracking your fitness in different ways keeps you moving forward (<<see what I did there) in your training.
I recently got the chance to try out a new fitness gadget, the Timex Ironman One GPS+ and it is spurring me on toward more activity this winter. Like many running GPS watches it features tracking of calories burned, speed, splits, and distance. It is super fast at finding satellites and was ready to go within seconds of turning it on. It has a touch screen to toggle between features, but also buttons at the sides including one that takes you directly to the running screen. The screen is large and easy to read; I never had a hard time in sunshine or shade looking down to check on my stats.
This watch also has a couple really cool additional features!
- A built-in MP3 player so you can listen to music straight from your watch to your bluetooth headphones. (Sadly I couldn’t test this feature because I just have lame wired headphones, but REALLY cool!)
- A messaging system to send an email to a friend or family member (in case of distress or just to let them know you made it). I LOVE this feature for extra security and the ability to check in without having to bring your phone.
- I mentioned the touchscreen earlier, but in addition the screen automatically adjusts to the type of light you are in so it is always easy to read!
- Heart rate monitor compatible and also available as an add-on.
Basically with the Timex One GPS+ you can strap it on your wrist and GO without having to worry about bringing a cell phone. I love this concept and am all about running with less as long as it’s safe! Using the Timex One GPS+ really pushed me to keep my pace up on my recent outdoor workouts! I’m excited to use it while training for 5 and 10Ks this summer and fall! I’d love to use it to help me set a new 5K PR post baby #2!
It can be tough to stay active in the winter, but take it from me and use any means necessary (shallow or not :)) to stay motivated this winter and get out there and move!
How do you stay motivated to reach your fitness goals?
What feature of the Timex Ironman One GPS+ appeals to you most?
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Timex.