I love a hot bowl of soup on a crisp day! If your house is anything like mine than that magic time between 5-6 that used to be come home from work, decompress, take a power nap, watch a rerun of The Office while finding the gumption to make dinner and continue on with your life has now become “the witching hour”. During this time your toddler whines, poops on the floor, wants a snack, wants to “help” with dinner prep, the baby is fussy and just wants held, the “what’s for dinner” question looms, and you just truly want to fall on the floor and cry.
This is normally the time when I tell Nate I don’t care where we go, but we are going out! (And sometimes you need resets like that and it’s totally okay–Qdoba for the win!) For the stage of life we are in the crockpot is a lifesaver. Life saver. Here’s why I love it:
- I can get dinner almost completely together early in the day, thus making myself feel accomplished.
- I can prep dinner without Layla’s “help” during naptime or when she’s totally distracted. She can still feel important helping with little things, but dangerous things like cutting and cooking are taken care of.
- Eliminates the amount of “ah, screw it, let’s go out to eat” conversations we have. Because dinner is already cooking. So we save money and are happier…all from a slow cooker.
And fall is the perfect time to enjoy a warm bowl of soup! So I’m sharing 7 delicious slow cooker soup recipes today that will make your life SO much easier, healthier and maybe even turn “the witching hour” into something magical. (witching>magic>can you tell we are in our annual Harry Potter marathon?)
- Healthier Potato Soup – My all-time favorite soup! This is pure comfort food, but healthier. My mom always serves hers with homemade bread so if you are feeling up to it that is an amazing side! I also love to crumble in some bacon when I have it on hand! (<<Note to self: ALWAYS have bacon on hand)
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup – I love this easy and slight twist on my favorite food group- Mexican food! We love to pair bowls of this soup with chips and salsa and green pepper sticks for an easy weeknight dinner.
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup – To make this slow cooker friendly don’t add the pasta until the last half hour or omit it altogether-great either way!
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Corn Chowder – Holy wow! This soup is good. Great comfort food feel, I rarely have heavy cream so I just use regular milk or almond milk or evaporated milk instead.
- Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup – This is SUCH great recipe and tastes like liquid lasagna! I love how much easier it is to put together than actual lasagna.
- Black Bean Chili – Chili is a great dump and stir crockpot recipe! You really only need to cook the beef or ground turkey and this recipe will come together in a snap. Plus the longer you cook chili the better it gets!
- Zuppa Toscana Soup – This soup is super-easy to throw together, especially when you use a bag of prediced potatoes and onions–I like cooking hacks like that!
Now that you have 7 delicious slow cooker soup recipes to try the hardest part of making dinner will be choosing which one to cook first! Soup is such comfort food, but can definitely be tweaked healthier. I often serve soup with a complementary salad and some fruit for dessert. Let’s not make things harder than they have to be.
I have this 6 quart slow cooker and I am perfectly happy with it, but if I were buying one again (mine is from our wedding) I would spend the extra dollars and get this one that is the same size, but has a programmable timer. Very fancy. And helpful if you don’t have one person at home to check in on your slow cooking throughout the day. I also have a little slow cooker that is perfect for 1 or 2 people! We also got this when we got married and I probably use it more often than our bigger one. It’s nice to have two sizes!
Finally, just a little “the more you know” segment…did you know that the term crockpot (what I’ve always called it) is actually a name brand, Crock-Pot and that the technical term for all “crockpots” is slow cooker? Also, a “onesie” is a branded term from Gerber, that’s why places like Carters or Gap or wherever else calls them “bodysuits”. Interesting, huh?! Be sure to pull that factoid out at your next party and impress your friends. 😉
Hope your midweek treats you well!
Which soup do you want to try out in your slow cooker (unless of course you have an actual CrockPot) tonight?
[tweetthis]7 Delicious and Simple Slow Cooker Soup Recipes! Can’t wait to try these! #healthyeats #soupson[/tweetthis]