Getting a quick breakfast together is sometimes a struggle. I mean you can only eat so much toast and cereal. Most mornings when Layla wakes up breakfast is the first thing she wants so I love having quick and easy options made up ahead of time. These banana applesauce muffins are perfect to make ahead and then enjoy all week for a healthy, quick breakfast or snack.
This recipe developed from a need to use up a couple of going bad bananas on my counter. I remembered my delicious Breakfast Muffins with Zucchini and Banana, but there was no zucchini around this time so I had to improvise and these Banana Applesauce Muffins were born. I love how simple they are (you probably have all the ingredients in your refrigerator and pantry) and the addition of the crumb topping is perfection. What is it about a crumb topping that makes every baked good better?
Banana Applesauce Muffins
- For Muffins:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flax
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 brown bananas
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk
- For crumb topping:
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Turn oven to 400. In large mixing bowl stir whole wheat flour, white flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flax. Create a small well in the center of the dry ingredients. In separate bowl lightly whisk eggs, brown sugar, yogurt, banana, applesauce and milk. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredient “well”. Gently fold went and dry ingredients together until blended using 12-15 strokes; batter will still be lumpy. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full in greased or lined muffin pan.
- <span></span>To make the crumb topping stir flour, sugar, and cinnamon together. Use a fork stir butter into mixture, allowing clumps to form. Top each muffin with 1 T crumb topping.
- Bake immediately for 20 minutes or until tops are golden.
We loved snacking on these all week and they were wonderful for the mornings we had to be out the door in a hurry for appointments or MOPS group. I hope you enjoy these muffins–they are a delicious way to use up your old bananas and get a quick breakfast too! These also freeze well.
[tweetthis]Use up your old banans with these Banana Applesauce Muffins! #yum #EAT #Fitfluential[/tweetthis]
In other news, we got a new van on Friday night! Yay! We are the proud owners of a 2012 Kia Sedona that has the low mileage and reliability we were looking for, plus some bonus features like built-in navigation, heated seats (just in time for winter), a leather interior, and power everything, including doors (mama’s must!). It should serve our family well for a number of years!
And on Saturday I stepped on a small ball and, after an ER visit, we found out I have a pretty bad ankle sprain. Thankfully it was nothing worse and I just need to take it easy for a few days. God has a reason for slowing me down for a couple of days, and while I’m praying for speedy healing I’m also looking for what He has for me in this. His plan is always better than mine.
Hope you have a splendid Monday! Let me know if you make these Banana Applesauce Muffins–they really are scrumptious!
Linking up to the Fit Dish!