Studying God’s Word is a powerful way to deepen your understanding of both God’s character and His works. These 21 best Bible studies for Christian women will help guide you in choosing a Bible study that will grow you spiritually no matter if you’re a recent follower of Jesus or if you’ve been walking with Him for a long time.
I did my first women’s Bible study on the Fruit of the Spirit from Beth Moore my senior year of high school. Some of the spiritual truths about God’s love and goodness are still impactful on my walk with Jesus today–some 15 years later.
I have a passion to help women understand and study the Bible for themselves! So let’s dive into all the ins and outs of Bible studies, specifically for women.
What is the purpose of a women’s Bible study?
The purpose of a Bible study is to grow your faith through in depth study of the Word of God, the Bible.
Many Bible studies include 5-7 days of on-your-own reading from the Bible, teaching notes, and reflection space. Then once a week a small group of women gets together to discuss what they’ve learned over the course of the week and possibly view a video teaching that expands on what they’ve been studying throughout the week.
Most women’s Bible studies also have times of prayer and fellowship –and sometimes even light snacks or a shared meal.
Types of Bible studies
Topical studies unpack a specific topic throughout all of the Word of God. For example my topical study Claiming Fresh Hope takes a wide look at hope in the Old Testament and in the New Testament.
Students read verses from the Psalms, the prophets, the gospels and the letters of the New Testament to get a full 360 degree view of hope in the Bible and how to apply it to their everyday life.
Bible Book Study
Bible book studies dive deep into a specific book of the Bible and the variety of topics covered within it.
Bible book studies will help you discover who the book was written to, the background details, history and cultural setting of the book you are reading. You may read the book of the Bible you are studying through once or many times, depending on its length.
Bible book studies are a great way to deepen your understanding of God’s working and teaching. You’ll see both the meaning of the book in the past and how it can speak to your life today.
Online Bible study
While many Bible studies take place in person, online Bible studies are becoming more popular! In these studies the information and community is accessed online. Sometimes the material is provided in a Facebook group or in a private website that you log into. Fellowship and prayer requests can be shared from women who have never met in person, but have the an immediate connection in Jesus thanks to the Holy Spirit.
Online Bible studies are a great way for women who may not be able to attend an in-person Bible study because of work, schedules, and family commitments to still be able to access strong Bible teaching and fellowship to grow their faith.
How do I choose a women’s Bible study?
Here are some of my non-negotiables of what I’m looking for in a women’s Bible study.
- Biblical truth – I’m not looking for fluff, but in depth content and insight into God’s Word.
- Engaging teacher – God’s Word isn’t boring and shouldn’t be hard to understand!
- The right amount of at home work – I’ve definitely over-estimated how much/how long the daily Bible study will take me, have fallen behind, gotten discouraged and quit. So it’s important to me to know how long each day will probably take me. This is also one of the reasons I prefer 5 days of homework over 7–stuff always comes up!
- Practical application for my everyday life. — I love to “go deep” in Bible studies, but I don’t just want knowledge for knowledge’s sake. I want the truth I’m learning to impact my parenting, marriage, friendships, attitudes and more.
This post contains affiliate links. I receive a small commission in exchange for your referral.
21 Best Bible Studies for Christian Women
These studies are listed in random order.
1. The Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer
This is a great study that touches on many needs felt by modern Christian women. This study is a combination topical and Bible book study focused on Ephesians 6 and the topic of prayer. Leader kit with 7 teaching sessions is available for purchase. Priscilla Shirer is an excellent, passionate Bible teacher and is a joy to learn from.
- Equip women to get serious, specific, and strategic in their discipline of prayer
- Turn challenges and discouragement into opportunities for prayer
- Grow spiritually as you dig deeper into Scripture and expand your understanding of prayer
- Develop and implement practical, purposeful prayer strategies
2. Now That Faith Has Come by Beth Moore and Melissa Moore.
Beth is an incredible Bible teacher and I’ve done many of her studies over the years and never been disappointed. Now That Faith Has Come is her most recent Bible study on the book of Galatians. This book does not include any of the video teachings, but you can purchase them in various forms on her website.
- 5 days of study on your own and 7 weeks of videos teachings
- Study the fruit of the Spirit in its context
- Learn the difference between obedience and legalism
- Cultivate fresh perspective of what God has in mind for your calling.
3. Nehemiah: A Heart That Can Break by Kelly Minter
This study of the book of Nehemiah will capture your heart! I love Kelly’s sense of humor and she has a great way of breaking down truth.
- 5 days of doable homework
- 7 video sessions with practical takeaways.
- Authentic Bible teaching to move you in compassion to be the hands and feet of Jesus
- Recipes to share and enjoy
4. Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds by Jen Wilken
This is a great Bible study that teaches you how to study the Bible with an inductive approach. Jen is passionate about helping women understand the Bible and feel confident in studying it for themselves.
- What to ask yourself when studying the Bible
- How to take the focus of your Bible study off you and onto God.
- This is a great challenging Bible study for new and seasoned believers alike!
While it has group discussion questions and Bible study elements to implement it does not have video teaching lessons.
5. Seamless: Understanding the Bible As One Complete Story by Angie Smith
Seamless is a great Bible study for those new to faith or insecure about their understanding of Scripture.
- Each week of study features key information that ties all of Scripture together into the seamless truth of the gospel message and is accompanied by maps, general Bible facts, and word studies.
- Leader helps to guide questions and discussions within small groups
- 7 teaching videos, approximately 12–15 minutes per session, available via redemption code printed in Bible study book for individual streaming access
I love the shorter video sessions in this series that allows for more discussion in your actual group!
6. Lies Women Believe by Nancy Demoss Wolgemuth
I read this book originally in my early 20s and some of these lies were very powerful for me to unpack and replace with the truth of God’s Word! This updated version is designed to go deeper than the original book in a group setting. It doesn’t contain video lessons.
You will get the most out of this study if you do it while reading the book version. I think it can be done with just this guided study book, but it is really designed as a companion to the book.
7. It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way by Lysa Terkeurst
If you’ve struggled with disappointment or pain and your knee-jerk reaction is to blame God, but then your good, Jesus-lovin’ self knows that’s not the answer, but you still have lots of big, messy feelings about the way life is–this is the Bible study for you.
Lysa has been through some extraordinarily difficult things, with vulnerability and courage she answers hard questions with the truth of Scripture. There are 6 video lessons that go along with the study that can be purchased separately.
8. Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
“For too many years I missed out on the life God had given me to live—to steward—because I was too busy trying to build a life that looked more…perfect.” Shauna guides women to reject the lies of perfection and embrace simply being present in our lives.
I did this study a few years ago and it helped me make some powerful shifts in my life.
It has a lot of reflection questions paired with Bible verses and the homework is not too taxing. This study is not as much of a deep dive into the Bible as a Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore or Kelly Minter study, but holds a lot of practical challenge.
9. Ruth: God’s Amazing Love For You by Courtney Joseph
Courtney Joseph has a lot of different Bible studies, but this one is an in-depth verse-by-verses Bible study with daily reading that is short, but informative and convicting. While we see Ruth and Boaz’s love story unfold in this book we get a bigger glimpse of how deeply God loves us through their story.
This Bible study also has 4 video lessons that can be accessed for free on her website! This is a great low cost option for your Bible study group!
10. A Great Cloud of Witnesses by Trillia Newbell
I love Trillia’s work and this is a great study that highlights the characters included in Hebrews 11–the Hall of Fame of faith chapter. Through their stories we learn about God’s faithfulness to us and how we can choose to remain faithful to Him, despite opposition and difficulties.
You can choose to go at your own pace and do the study in 6 or 8 weeks. There are no video lessons for this Bible study, but there are group reflection questions.
I also like that Trillia walks first time Bible students through some great general practices for reading and studying the Bible. There is also a really helpful appendix section!
11. Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer
We all want to hear the voice of God in this 7 group session Bible study Priscilla breaks down how to clearly and daily hear God’s voice both through the Bible and by recognizing the voice of the Spirit in your life.
You’ll find weekly at home portions, powerful Bible study and thoughtful questions to help guide you and your group.
12. Dance, Stand, Run by Jess Connolly
This 6 week session is great for the woman wondering how to live as a passionate Jesus-follower in today’s world. Jess encourages women to dance in grace, stand in holiness and run on mission. I really enjoyed doing this Bible study with my mom’s group a couple years ago!
Her teachings are clear and compelling. I also loved the daily Bible study and the recommended worship songs she included after some of the teachings.
13. Job: A Story of Unlikely Joy by Lisa Harper
If Job is a confusing or difficult book of the Bible for you (it is for most Christians!) let Lisa break down the hard questions of Job with you. Using her own life stories and unpacking the character of God this Bible study will help guide you to finding real joy that isn’t circumstantial.
This study contains 7 video sessions that are sold separately and contain testimonies of other believers who have found joy in their pain and suffering.
Some of the top female Bible teachers (Lysa Terkeurst, Elisa Morgan and more!) come together to teach through 12 compelling Biblical women.
“Their stories are not fairytales, their road was not easy, and their examples are not perfect. They lived in times and places quite different than ours. Yet they hold up a mirror to our souls that can help us better understand our own story. And in doing so, we find freedom to come to God as we are, with total transparency, honest and real. ”
This is a great study to get started with and experience a lot of Biblical stories and teaching styles!
15. She Reads Truth — Advent Study
I love many of the She Reads Truth Bible studies! They are online Bible studies where you read Scripture and then have some helpful devotional/commentary to go alongside each days reading.
Some of my favorites have been their Advent and Lent Bible studies! Each study is $1.99-$2.99 to access on their app and you can always sample the first day for free.
There aren’t video lessons, but this is a great easy way to start studying the Bible!
16. Claiming Fresh Hope Bible Study by Katie M. Scott
I wrote this Bible study because after the pandemic I needed to know what the Bible says about hope.
How do we claim hope when life is hard–when it seems like we are in an endless cycle of waiting for God to show up, when we are just plain worn out, or when hope feels like wishful thinking.
The Claiming Fresh Hope Bible study is a pdf guided journal that will take you on a 4 week journey to understand hope, find hope, and overflow hope to those around you. 5 days of personal study where you write the word, reflect on the Word, apply it to your own life and then worship through a song that corresponds to what you learned.
There are 4 included video teaching sessions (no extra purchase necessary!) dive deeper into the original context, background and application.
17. Surrendered: Letting Go and Living Like Jesus by Barb Roose
“Let go and let God.” But it’s easier said than done. Is it possible that giving up on what you can’t change is God’s path to peace for your life? In this six-week Bible study of Jesus in the wilderness, Barb explores Jesus’ time of testing and contrasts it with the Israelites’ failures in the wilderness.”
This study includes 6 20 minute dynamic speaking sessions by Barb helping women loosen control and find freedom in Christ. Since lots of women struggle with anxiety and control this may be a great study to share together in!
18. He’s Where The Joy Is: Getting To Know the God of the Trinity by Tara-Leigh Cobble
I loved reading through the Bible with Tara-Leigh’s podcast, the Bible Recap so I can’t wait to dive into this study of the Trinity! That God is three-in-one is a fundamental part of the Christian faith, but so many of us struggle to understand and articulate it–much less know how the Trinity impacts our faith walk.
He’s Where the Joy Is has 7 video teachings, plus personal Bible study to help explain and excite us to learn more about all the facets of the God we serve!
19. Growing Slow: A 6-Week Guided Journey to Un-Hurrying Your Heart by Jennifer Dukes Lee
Jennifer is such a wise and kind voice to help women learn how to un-hurry and trust the slow process of growth God is using in our lives. This topical Bible study is perfect for summer or a shorter time frame.
Participants get access to 6 teaching videos filmed at Jennifer’s family farm as well!
20. Significant – A Study of Women in Jesus’ Genealogy: Six Ordinary Women, One Extraordinary God by Rachel Risner
Explore the 6 women included in Jesus’ genealogy over 6 weeks and learn how to walk with faith in the face of uncertainty. “In this study, learn from Scripture how to:
- Dig in your heels with tenacity when you feel like giving up.
- Worship instead of worry when life throws you curve balls.
- Quit living skin-deep by cultivating the inner beauty of trust in God.
This Bible study includes online access to Bible teaching videos and discussion questions at no extra cost.
21. Living for What Really Matters: 7 Weeks in the Book of Philippians by Teresa Swanstrom Anderson
We often glorify “the hustle,” hoping to find acceptance in our hard work. Yet for most of us, we find ourselves on the way to burnout and anxiety from sometimes pointless pursuits. What if meaningful struggle can instead lead us to growth, depth, and even joy?
Even in prison, where we’d expect Paul to be at his lowest, he wrote a letter to his Philippian friends filled with thankfulness, generosity, and joy. This letter shows us how we can blossom by finding the meaning in our struggles.
This study is brimming with helpful insight, background information and relevant application for each of the 7 weeks of the Bible study. There are no video lessons to this study–it’s more on your own and then come together to discuss.
Further Tools for Bible Study
- She Reads Truth CSB Study Bible
- (in)courage Devotional Bible
- Bible study notes for daily Bible reading
- My favorite highlighters
- Bible study tabs
- More Bible study resources
There are so many great Bible studies available today from a wide variety of wise teachers! Whether you are looking for a Bible study for the women in your Sunday School class, your community group, or mom’s group– any Christian woman will be blessed by diving into God’s Word through one of these studies.