Good morning! As you may or may not realize I go on breakfast “kicks” where for months I eat the same thing over and over for breakfast. I had an addiction to green smoothies and then I was hot and heavy with oatmeal for almost a year. Now I am about 4 months into a fling with cold cereals. Yes, cold, from-the-box cereals. But this is no cheerios in a bowl sort of breakfast. Here are my secrets to delicious, non-boring cereal that won’t leave you starving a few hours later!
1. Combine cereals. Oh yeah, you didn’t think you were allowed to mix them did you? Well you can and their better that way. Just be sure you’re mixing two cereals that absorb milk in a similar fashion. This is also a good way to transition yourself from Lucky Charms to Fiber One—cause no one wants to make that jump cold turkey.
2. Aim for high protein cereals. Yes, Kashi is my main squeeze or rather off brand Kashi Go Lean from Aldi’s because it’s $2.69 not $3.69 and still has 13 grams of protein in a serving. Cheap cereal for the win. I also really love Barbara’s organic cereal too—it’s so good. It’s NOT cheap so it balances out with my off brand Kashi.
3. Add in fruit. Your cereal definitely needs some beautiful color! Add some sweet flavor and nutrients by topping your cereal with fruit. My favorite toppings are blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries (which are loaded with antioxidants), but I’m not afraid to put a peach or dried fruit on top every now and again too.
4. Sprinkle on some nuts. My favorite cereal topping nuts are almonds and walnuts (do you KNOW how good walnuts are for you? like totally awesome!). Both provide a nice crunch to cereal and healthy fats that will also help your cereal stick with you all morning, plus some added protein.
5. Pour on the milk! I am over here, chowing down on my amazing almond milk, but really any type of milk is great on cereal—skim, goat, organic, coconut, 2%, almond—I won’t judge you. Get the best quality you can for your money and health needs. (Why is there so much judgment in the world over milk? If you judge people’s milk please get a life. Also, if you judge my orange juice in below photo, you can jump off a bridge with the milk people—why do people hate on O.J? Sorry…anyways…)
So there it is—all my juicy secrets to crafting the perfect bowl of cold cereal. Take a little time and elevate your cereal to a healthier, more flavorful plain. It’s really so simple. And yum! Don’t you want some now?
What is your favorite kind of cereal?
Do you dress up your cereal in any way?