I was pretty young the first time my mom made Chewy Walnut Treasures, but they were instantly my favorite Christmas cookie! The outside is a butter cookie, then comes the brown sugar-nut-sour cream center, and finally the sweet vanilla glaze…absolute perfection.
It’s one of those recipes I just HAVE to have at Christmas and is always a cornerstone of my Christmas cookie baking. There are so many memories attached to these cookies for me….
- My mom actually entered these cookies in a “Best Cookie Contest” on a local radio station and they won first prize! For awhile she even generated some extra Christmas money selling cookies for Christmas gatherings and parties. She was pretty cautious about sharing her Chewy Walnut Treasures recipe, it was top-secret. The funny thing is she found the recipe in the newspaper!! A few years later she decided it was too much to be making that many cookies at Christmas and retired from the cookie making business and began sharing this recipe with friends and family.
- For one of my birthdays when I was 10 or 11 I had my best friend over and we made these cookies. I remember they turned out horrible! Way too crumbly and dry. I’m pretty sure my mom remade the recipe for us it was that bad!
- The first year Nate and I were married I narrowed my must-have Christmas cookie list down to four and got baking. The only thing is I didn’t account for how many cookies each recipe would make….we ended up with cookies all over our little apartment. I met all the neighbors that year passing out cookies!
- 1/2 cup cup softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 T milk, If needed; when I made this batter for some reason it was drier than usual so I added a tablespoon of milk to compensate. Generally it shouldn't need it.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, I do mine in the food processor for just a few seconds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 T water
- Splash of vanilla
- Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together until smooth. Add in flour, salt, and baking soda and stir until dough forms. Roll into ball about the size of a walnut. Form a small "well" in each cookie (I poke my finger in the center and then form the well around that.) Combine filling ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until combined. Fill each cookie well with filling, about 1-2 teaspoons per cookie. Bake at 350 for 11-12 minutes. Top with glaze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Whether your mom makes them for you, you make them with your best friend or you end up giving them all away, I’m sure these cookies will be a hit! They are lovely with a cold cup of milk or a strong cup of coffee. Enjoy!
[tweetthis]These Chewy Walnut Treasures need to go on your must-bake Christmas cookie list! [/tweetthis]
What is your must-have Christmas cookie?