Disclaimer: I recognize that eating out is what it is—lots of sodium, processed food, non-organic, perhaps questionable animal farming practices—my point is NOT to laud this at all, but with the understanding that MOST Americans eat out frequently, to help you discover some of the healthiest food options out there at your restaurants you frequent. Also, there are times when you are indulging and treating yourself and that’s okay too.
Healthier Choices at Steak ‘n Shake:
Guacamole Steak Burger
By going with a single patty you’ll save yourself from unhealthy fats and extra calories. The guacamole will give you a little bit of healthy fats which is great and a unique take on a burger. I’m all for extra guac on everything! 380 calories is pretty reasonable for a burger!
Single Steakburger or Single Steakburger with cheese
When in doubt at a burger and fries type of restaurant, going with a small burger is normally a safe choice. The single steakburger is a meager 280 calories and adding the cheese will only add another 50. Pair it with a side for a filling choice.
Grilled Chicken Sandwich or Salad
This is another almost always safe choice at a fast food or other restaurant. You can eat it with or skip the bun if you are gluten-free, paleo, or just don’t want to eat an overly processed white bun. There is also a straight salad option, which to be honest, would be my preference over the sandwich. It’s also topped with shredded carrots, cabbage, cheese, and croutons. Go easy on the dressing (the Zesty Italian is the lightest at 80 calories a serving) and you have a great healthy choice at Steak ‘n Shake.
Taco Salad with Beef or Grilled Chicken
This is new on the menu since the last time I was at Steak ‘n Shake, but I love this healthy option! For just shy of 600 calories you get a big bowl of greens, plus tomatoes, shredded cheese and taco strips. I would ask for a side of guacamole or salsa to top your salad! Who puts ranch on a taco salad?
Healthier Side Options at Steak ‘n Shake:
- Vegetable Soup
- Side Salad
- Cottage Cheese with pineapple slice
Steer clear of classics like the fries, onion rings, and chili–all are loaded with calories!
Definitely Avoid at Steak ‘n Shake:
These should be avoided if you’re looking to stick to your healthy eating plan. There may be a time and place (vacation! your birthday! you just ran a half marathon or had a baby!) for them, but they should be rare occasions.
- Any of the Melts: Frisco, American, Grilled Cheese Steakburger, etc. (I’m sure this will break my husband’s heart, the Frisco Melt is his favorite!)
- Any of the BIG burgers with more than two patties and extra toppings: Philly Cheese Double Steakburger, Cajun Double Steakburger, Triple Steakburger with Cheese. In general, the simpler the burger the better and load it up with veggies!
- Chili. Surprising to me was the high calorie and fat content of the chili! Bummer because it’s a simple and filling dish that many might THINK would be better-for-you, but no such luck.
- Milkshakes. But you knew I was going to say that right? 😉 I love them too, but save them for a special occasion or split a small with a friend. The lightest one I saw was the Very Berry Strawberry size small at 370 calories and the highest was the Chocolate Fudge Brownie size regular at 960 calories!
[tweetthis]Healthy Eating at Steak ‘n Shake can seem impossible but there ARE some great healthy options! [/tweetthis]
Like many restaurants, healthy eating at Steak ‘n Shake can seem impossible. But there are healthier options available, though not many. I think the next time I go to Steak ‘n Shake I may try out the Chicken Taco Salad! Or maybe I’ll pair the Guacamole burger with some applesauce, and a big glass of unsweetened iced tea for a healthy meal at Steak ‘n Shake.
Do you like Steak ‘n Shake? Which healthy option would you try at Steak ‘n Shake?