Nothing is better than a bowl of hot soup on a cold winter’s day and healthy soup is even better! We’ve been having lots of cold winter days up here in Michigan and this soup warms me up perfectly! Growing up my mom often served a version of this soup to us and it is classic comfort food to me!
Although I love her original recipe, I wanted to make a healthy potato soup version that would still deliciously creamy and cheesy, just a bit healthier!! I definitely didn’t want to sacrifice the amazing flavor of this soup.
Easy and Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
Healthy Potato Soup
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced. (I like this kitchenaid peeler--it works so well!)
- 1/2 onion chopped finely or 1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 celery finely chopped
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- Pepper to taste between 1/2-1/2 teaspoon
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 can fat free evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup potato flakes
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- Place potatoes in saucepan. Fill with enough water just to cover the potatoes.
- Add celery, onion, garlic, chicken bouillon, garlic, parsley, pepper and butter.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add evaporated milk; stir. Add potato flakes, cheeses, and Greek yogurt.
- Stir until over low heat until well combined.
- Makes 6 cups. Each 1 1/2 cup serving is 330 calories.
You could also add cooked ham or bacon to this soup for a little extra protein if you’d like. I’ve shared an updated version potato soup in the slow cooker with ham that’s also delicious!
It pairs magically with homemade whole wheat bread or rolls for dipping. And you can never go wrong with the soup and salad combination. Yum!!
What is your favorite soup to eat when’ it’s cold?
For more easy healthy recipes check out my Healthy Main Dishes board on Pinterest! I’d love to see you share this recipe there!
Products used in this recipe: (Affiliate links)