Today I took a Mental Health Day. A day when I let up on my expectations for myself, relaxed, and reduced stress. I’m not sure why, but today I got up feeling very overwhelmed….about money, the blog, finding a job, finding the right job, settling and being miserable vs. not having a second income, an 1 1/2 hour workout on the agenda, etc., etc. So I decided to give myself a break and take a mental health day.
You may not have the luxury of taking a mental health day (my last job considered them a sick day), but when you’re overwhelmed and stressed it’s a good thing to do, even if you can carve out a weekend morning or afternoon to relax.
Here are some things I incorporated in my Mental Health Day
- Yoga. I spent some time doing yoga. It wasn’t on the workout “calendar” but I moved and felt calmed.
- I drank tea and coffee
- I went to the library and checked out some books and magazines.
- I opened my curtains and let in natural light (Sunlight boosts mood and helps you sleep better!)
- I jammed to some of my favorite country tunes!
- I ate some dark chocolate
- I read blogs
- I caught up on my Bible reading and prayed about some of my stresses.
- Most importantly, I didn’t feel bad for doing any of these things. I took a break from my expectations of myself and just let the day “be”. And it was nice.
Acknowledge 3 positive things about yourself. Write them down or say them aloud.
“I have a strong body. I have a strong mind. I have a strong spirit. I am grateful to be me.”
What would you do on your Mental Health Day?