Pear recipes are the unsung heroes of the fall. It’s all pumpkin spice this and caramel apple that, but pears…pears deserve a little recognition too. Recognition for being sweet, simple, and playing well with others.
And may I submit one delicious pear crisp for your fall dessert consideration.
This pear crisp is a delicious way to enjoy fresh pears this season & an easy dessert for fall gatherings!! This kind of pear dessert is also called a Pear Crumble by some, but either way I call it yummy!!
I feel like calling this crisp healthy is perhaps a bit far-fetched, but it is certainly a healthier than most normal pear crisps or pear crumbles thanks to less sugar and whole grains like whole wheat flour and oats.
Are pears healthy?
Pears do have quite a few health benefits!!
- Pears are high in fiber, for a fruit! Fiber helps regulate digestion and improves cholesterol levels.
- They also have a wide variety of vitamins: C, K, and B vitamins.
- Pears contain folate which is great especially if you are pregnant or breastfeeding!
- The skin of pears also has the rich antioxidant quercetin which is linked to reducing cancer and blood pressure levels.
What to do with lots of pears?
Use them for this easy pear crisp or this pear butter! Add it to a smoothie fresh or frozen! Roast them! Eat them plain! There really is no wrong way to eat pears and there are lots of pear recipes to enjoy them in!
Simple Pear Crisp
- 4 cups sliced and peeled pears about 4-5 pears
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons slivered almonds optional
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- De-core, peel, and slice pears.
- Place pears in greased 8x8 pan. Top with vanilla and gently stir to coat pears.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, salt, cinnamon and almonds if desired. Stir in melted butter to form crumb mixture.
- Top pears with crumbly goodness and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm to those you love with a dollop of whip cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Can you use this recipe with apples?
Yes! If you want to make this crisp recipe with apples, it’s incredibly easy!! Just switch out the sliced pears for apple slices and add 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. I won’t tell anyone that you are #teamapple
Hope you are enjoying this first week of October! I think October could be my favorite month of the year. But maybe May…or December…either way it is right up there in the top three!
Cozy recipes like this crisp are perfect for cooler days. And for more warm fall comfort food you’ve got to make my healthy potato soup or these AMAZING pumpkin chip cookies or these healthy pumpkin bars!
If your mouth is watering right now I apologize. #sorrynotsorry Hope you have a great Monday! Start this week with intention and a scoop of ice cream over this simple pear crisp.
If you like this recipe be sure to save it on Pinterest for later!