“Gosh, I’m feeling hungry. Really hunger. So hungry I’m almost shaking…shoot! Ah! I need to eat—stat!! Just find anything….sooo hungry…need to eat….”
…and then I end up consuming half a box of Lucky Charms!
Please tell me I’m not the only one to fall prey to the dreaded snack attack?! Sometimes when you get SO HUNGRY you just grab whatever is closest and chow down. I’m not proud of it, but it happens. I’ve learned over time that I need to have lots of easy, healthy snack options available so I can answer any craving in a hurry!
Today I’m going to share some healthy snacks to beat any craving. I’ve been using these nutritionally sound snacks to stop my snack attacks. I’ve also tried to plan times to eat my snacks (especially since I’m pregnant now), so by spacing them out and eating them regularly, I don’t fall into the “eat all the things” snacking emergency. Also, by planning my snack times and choosing healthy snackst, I’m setting myself up for success in all my regular meals too!
For When I’m Craving Something Salty:
- Handful of walnuts or almonds
- Whole wheat crackers with hummus or cheese
- Air popped Popcorn with olive oil and sea salt
- Hummus and Veggies (celery, baby carrots, and green pepper)
- Chips and salsa (portion out! I can kill a bag of tortilla chips in NO time)
- Pop chips
For When I’m Craving Carbs:
- Rice cakes
- Toasted Ezekial bread and peanut butter
- Kind bar or Larabar (homemade or store bought!)
- Small bowl of cereal like Kashi GoLean or Multigrain Cheerios
For When I’m Craving Something Sweet:
- Piece of fruit (frozen grapes are one of my favorite sweet choices!)
- Cup of chai tea with a dash of almond milk
- Dark chocolate
- No Bake Chocolate Protein Cookies
- A Green or fruit smoothie
- Protein shake (I love chocolate flavored with almond milk!)
By keeping these healthy snacks handy I can keep snack attacks at bay whether I’m craving a sweet or salty snack or on the days I just plain want ALL. THE. CARBS. Planning ahead and having good stuff available is key! I try to keep the healthy stuff stocked up and the unhealthy eats out of the house to make healthy snack choices automatic.
How do you deal with snack attacks?
What is your go-to healthy food for when a snack attack hits?