RELATED: BANANA APPLESAUCE MUFFINSThey seemed so healthy, but my morning glory muffins had almost the same amount of fat as the sausage and cheese sandwiches AND a lot more sugar! Learn from my mistake and don’t assume because something looks or sounds healthy that it actually is! The good news is I’ve learned to recreate the Morning Glory Muffin, but tweaked to be healthier than ever!
These tasty and healthy morning glory muffins are filled with…
- Walnuts (an amazing healthy fat!)
- Applesauce (to reduce the oil but still make sure they aren’t dry!)
- Flaxseed (a great source of fiber)
- Pineapple pieces (for all natural sweetness!)
- And even a little optional scoop of protein powder!
Healthy Morning Glory Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 Tablespoons flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 scoop protein vanilla powder
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 apple diced, cored, but peeling is optional
- 2 cups diced carrots, approximately 3 medium carrots
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup pineapple, crushed and drained
- ½ cup walnuts, diced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place raisins in small bowl covered in warm water. (This will help them be plump and juicy, not dry and shriveled.)
- Meanwhile stir flour, protein powder, baking powder, flax, and cinnamon together in mixing bowl.
- Shred apple, carrots, and pineapple (if in pieces or fresh, not crushed in can) with food processor.
- Stir apple, carrots, pineapple, raisins, coconut, and walnuts into the flour mixture.
- In separate bowl combine butter, eggs, vanilla, apple sauce and maple syrup until well blended.
- Form small well in center of flour mixture. Pour in wet ingredients. Stir just until combined.
- Drop by 1/3 cup into greased muffin tin or muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Tops should be brown and knife inserted in the center will come out clean.
- Serve warm or freeze, once cooled, in a freezer bag or airtight container. Keep in refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Unsaturated Fat: 0g
To make this recipe you may need….
- 12 Cup Muffin Pan – I love this brand! I rarely use muffin cups, I just lightly grease my non-stick pan and they come out excellently.
- Sturdy Wire Whisk – Use a whisk to be sure the muffin batter combines in as few strokes as possible-this helps keep muffins from over-peaking or under-peaking.
- Colorful Mixing Bowls – Because baking should make you happy!
- My favorite vanilla protein powder – I have tried many and this is the one for me!
Can you freeze these healthy morning glory muffins?Yes! Simply allow to cool on the counter. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and then place all of them in large freezer bag with air removed. Perfect for a healthy grab and go breakfast or snack! Make ahead these Morning Glory Muffins so you’ll have them on hand for a busy breakfast or easy snacks.
RELATED: HEALTHY ZUCCHINI MUFFINSI’d love for you to try these amazing sunrise muffins and let me know what you think! If you like this recipe be sure to pin it and share it with your friends on Facebook! These delicious Sunrise Muffins are healthier so you can enjoy them more often! Get the recipe here>>> What is your favorite kind of muffin? Have you ever been shocked that something you thought was healthy was actually not? What was it?