Enjoy a bowl of this Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe to warm you on a cold day! This healthier homemade tomato basil soup is comfort food heaven and nice and creamy thanks to a swirl of delicious coconut milk.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you. I will always be honest about what I like and use, whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
A few years ago I created a super yummy tomato tortellini soup recipe, but with my recent switch to dairy-free and mostly gluten free that recipe is no longer in our regular rotation. I definitely don’t want to make two completely different recipes when I make dinner–one for me and one for Nate and the kids–who has time for that kind of nonsense?!
So instead I created this creamy vegan tomato soup recipe for all of us to enjoy! Now you all know I’m not vegan in any sense of the word, but I’m choosing lots of vegan recipes these days since they are (clearly) also dairy-free!
If you are also a fan of easy, healthy, sanity-saving recipes be sure to grab your FREE WEEK of my Real Food Comfort Food Meal Plan!!
I made this resource for busy mom’s just like you and I think you’ll love it!! You’ll get a week’s worth of great recipes, your grocery list planned out for you, a step-by-step meal prep guide, plus leftover ideas, side dish tips and more!
This tomato soup can also be Paleo and Whole 30 friendly! To make it so just sub ghee or grass-fed butter for the non-dairy butter. You can also leave out the sweetener, but the soup may just be a touch more acidic. (Sugar or a sugar substitute helps reduce the acidity of tomato products.) Another way to add more nutrition is to use chicken bone broth in place of regular chicken or vegetable stock.
The coconut milk makes this tomato soup delicious and dairy-free! Looked for canned coconut milk near the Asian section of your grocery store. I like the Thai Kitchen brand!
Don’t worry if the top of your milk is thick like a pudding. That is totally normal and to be expected! I think it adds to the creamy consistency and I seriously love cooking with coconut milk or dropping a Tablespoon or so it into my morning coffee. Healthy fat is nothing to be afraid of! Coconut milk, not only adds a creamy, milk-like consistency, it has a ton of nutritional benefits as well!
- Coconut milk is high in MTC (medium chain fatty acids) which help improve endurance when exercising and boost metabolism. (Source)
- Another one of coconut milks superpowers is boosting the immune system. Studies have shown it boosts immunities in fighting run of the mill bacteria and even cancer! (Source and Source)
- I personally love coconut milk because the higher good fat content keeps me full longer! A bowl of canned tomato soup from the supermarket isn’t going to keep me full for a half a minute, but this soup is so flavorful and filling I don’t need a grilled cheese sandwich to dunk in it to feel satisfied!
Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe
- 15 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 TBSP butter substitute such as Earth Balance butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic cloves or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Stevia or sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- Blend tomatoes in a small food processor. Place tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, butter, stevia or sugar, garlic, basil, and oregano in stockpot on the stove over low heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Gently stir in coconut milk and heat for another 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
To make this recipe you may need…
- Colorful food chopper
- Classic stock pot
- Full apron with pockets (because tomato soup splatters are the worst!)
- Copper soup ladle
I love how flexible and fast this vegan tomato soup recipe is! Using canned tomato products helps cut down on prep time, but if you want to grab a big, beautiful cutting board, roast and chop tomatoes, you do you, boo! I’ll be adding fire roasted ones (with the pull-off tab) to my Walmart Pickup order over here living the
good lazy life.
Speaking of a pull-of can lid–does anyone else ever select canned goods based on whether or not they have a pull-off lid?
THIS GIRL certainly does!! Mama ain’t got time for no can opener!
I mean seriously I have a robot vacuum (I love it so freaking much, it has changed my life and it is worth EVERY penny). So there is no way I’m digging around in a drawer for a tool from 1950 that can’t do it’s one job well. *end rant about canned good cans*
Sorry about that, folks. Let’s take it back to this delicious dairy-free tomato soup! Yum! It will warm you up all the way to the bottom of your heart. If you’re looking for a yummy + easy + healthy lunch or dinner idea this vegan tomato soup is for you!
What is your favorite kind of fall soup?
For me it is for sure this dairy-free tomato soup or this healthy slow cooker potato soup! Both are crazy-good and healthier versions of comfort food which I am ALL about!
If you are looking for more tasty soup recipes be sure to follow my Healthy Soup Recipes board on Pinterest!
If you liked this recipe be sure to pin it here!
If you like this vegan tomato soup recipe you may also enjoy:
Curried Butternut Squash Soup (Also a vegan, whole 30, and paleo soup recipe!!)
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup (Definitely not vegan or whole 30 or paleo–but veeery yummy!)