Winter blues? They. Are. Here.
Any one else?
I have never gone to the trouble of getting an official S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) diagnosis* but I can say that each winter I really, really feel the effects of the weather. I literally am WORKING each day to keep my spirits up. I’m really needing to dial in being intentional about the things that bring me joy and vibrance in the winter.
*This post is not a treatment plan for Seasonal Affective Disorder. If you think you are experiencing Seasonal Affective Disorder please consult with your physician or mental health provider.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
15 Things That Will Make You Happier This Winter
Lighten things up!
- Sit in a sun lamp — I bought one last week and am doing 10-20 minute sessions in the morning while I do my Bible reading and coffee drinking. I think it’s helping! For the cost I figured I couldn’t go wrong! I bought this sun lamp from Amazon.
- Along with the sun lamp I open all the blinds and shades in my house so any outdoor light can get in!
- Getting outside and just out and about if I can! I talked about this in my post about non-weight loss health goals, but just getting outside for a bit everyday is SOO good for your health! Last week with the polar vortex it was impossible, but I met a friend for brunch and then went to a yoga class afterwards and it was amazing!
Up Your Nutrition Intake!
- Take Vitamin D, probiotics, and Fish oil supplements.
- Drink a smoothie once a day for added nutrition. I’ve been following the fab four smoothie formula from the Body Love book lately. It’s not exceptionally different than my normal smoothie, but I like the emphasis on healthy fats and greens! I swear I feel more mentally balanced when I make sure I have them at each meal. (Here are a ton of reasons why healthy fats are so awesome!)
Check Your Heart!
- Read and reflect on Scripture and uplifting words. Clearly, this is huge for my spiritual health. Along with my Bible study I’ve been repeating “All things are working together for MY good and HIS glory.” (Romans 8:28) to myself OFTEN.
- Play worshipful or upbeat music that makes me feel happy! Give me your recommendations in the comments!! Music is SUCH a mood lifter! When your song comes on you can’t help but smile!
- Weekly date night with my husband Nate. We’ve been putting the kids to bed early and eating a “fancy” meal together at home in blissful silence or quiet conversation. It’s the best! Seriously! You could go out on a real date or meet up with a friend for a happy hour or coffee!
Take Good Care of Your Body!
- Showering more often. I know this one is kind of weird, but I can go 3-4 days without washing my hair (thanks to my all natural hair products!) but I’m actually going to increase my showers this week just because I feel more positive and accomplished and uplifted after washing my hair. #whateverittakes
- Getting well. You guys I have been SICK with a nasty cold off and on the last month. It finally got bad enough that I filled a prescription for some antibiotics and will hopefully be feeling better soon! But of course if I’m physically sick I’m not going to be feeling mentally great either!
- Move my body every single day. I’m given up perfection and focusing on consistency and building habits. I’ve been doing a lot of yoga from the Yoga with Adrienne youtube channel!
Support My Mental Health
- Relax my to-do list. It’s ok if I don’t get much done. I am enough just as I am…my accomplishments don’t mean I’m more valuable. This is hard for me, but not holding myself to a crazy high standard helps me not get defeated and down.
- Roll on essential oils — I have a mix of Joy and Peace and Calming from Young Living that I use on my pressure points and up the inside of my arm! It definitely helps me feel more uplifted!
- I’m also listening to encouraging, helpful and funny podcasts to keep my mindset right! I love That Sounds Fun with Annie F. Downs and The Next Right Thing with Emily P. Freeman. (Her voice is soo soothing!)
- Plan some fun! If a tropical vacation isn’t in the cards that’s okay! Find smaller fun ways to enjoy the season–go ice skating, make snow cream, go sledding, make some Valentines for friends. Or find some indoor fun like roller skating, going to movies, the Chick-fil-A play place, an overnight at a hotel with an indoor pool.
Winter is my least favorite season. Honestly, I already can’t wait for spring!! BUT I’m going to be intentional about finding joy and vibrance even in this dark season! There is beauty and coziness and goodness in it–I may just have to try a bit more to find it!
Keep Chasing Vibrance,
Do your spirits dip in the winter? What tips do you use to help with the winter blues?