Who’s ready for college football season!?! *raises both hands*
College football kicks of this weekend and if you know anything about my family, you know we are excited! Nate has already “prepped” for the season by watching most of Alabama’s games from last season. I’m not that hard core with my Irish football, but I’m pretty stoked to watch them take on the Texans this weekend.
Of course, if it’s really gametime you’re going to need some good food! It’s easy to default to a pile of tortillas and queso, but these amazing sweet potato fries with bacon and blue cheese will make you forget all about those boring chips!
I’m not going to say they are good for you……but they are made with all whole-food ingredients that you will recognize and I mean, you got a vegetable, you got your protein source, and your dairy so they are basically a balanced snack. 😉 Everything in moderation right?
- 4 sweet potatoes, medium sized
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 Tablespoon buffalo sauce
- 1 Tablespoon flour, optional
- 4-6 slices cooked bacon, okay, as much bacon as you want!
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes.
- Slice finely or run through spiralizer and allow to soak in water for 10 minutes. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Toss sweet potatoes in olive oil and salt and pepper. (You don't need too much salt.)
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, flipping once.
- Meanwhile heat heavy whipping cream in saucepan on stove to a simmer, whisking as it cooks.
- Cook 10 minutes until cream begins to thicken. Add blue cheese and buffalo sauce to cream and continue to cook. Add flour, if necessary to help it thicken.
- Remove fries from oven, top with blue cheese sauce, crumble bacon on top, add a smidge of extra blue cheese if you're feeling sassy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 17g
Nutritional information is approximate.
Seriously, digging into this plate of fries might make your weekend. The blue cheese is perfectly tangy and the touch of heat from the buffalo sauce takes it over the top. Well, actually, the bacon takes it over the top. Bacon tends to do that to food.
Good luck to whatever team you are rooting for this weekend! (Unless it’s Texas-ha!) Do you follow football? Who is your team?