Due to our recent rise in people being stuck at home you may find yourself with a bit more time on your hands at home than usual. Enter these 40 books to read when you’re stuck at home.
I love to read!! While I’m all for a binge session on Netflix, perhaps consider a reading binge instead. These books will stretch your brain and stretch your heart during these dull, scary, and anxiety provoking days. There is nothing like losing yourself in a good book!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy to learn more.
40 Books To Read When You’re Stuck at Home
Favorite Recent Fiction Books
All my favorite 5 star reads from 2019 and 2020 and the top recommended from my mom and sister that are on my to-read list. I like historical fiction and not too intense books. Nothing scary here.
Top three are my top three! After that it’s just a mix!
- Before We Were Yours
- Daisy Jones and the Six
- The Nightingale
- The Quintland Sisters
- Marilla of Green Gables
- Where the Crawdads Sing
- Normal People
- The Atomic City Girls
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine — to read
- We Were Completely Fine — to read
Favorite Classic Fiction Books
I’m here for the classics, you guys! One summer in college a spent some time working through a book list of classics and let me tell you, some classics are not for everyone.
I remember throwing one particular *coughAnnaKarenina* across the room.
Also Gone with the wind–better movie. Also, Lord of the Rings–better movie. Don’t @ me.
- Pride and Prejudice
- The Joy Luck Club
- A Tale of Two Cities
- The Scarlet Letter
- The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns
- A Farewell To Arms
- Murder On The Orient Express
- Anne of Green Gables or Little Women
- Harry Potter series or The Chronicles of Narnia series
- To Kill a Mockingbird
Favorite NonFiction Book
I’m a big fan of nonfiction! I like reading to improve myself and enjoy being a lifelong learner!
- Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts–Becoming the Person You Want to Be
- The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Success, Your Life
- It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
- The Seven Principles of Making Marriage Work
- You are the Girl for the Job: Daring to Believe the God Who Calls You
- Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
- Educated: A Memoir
- I Think You’re Wrong But I’m Listening: A Guide to Grace-Filled Political Conversations
- Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. (currently reading)
Kids Books To Read
We have a million kids books and can I be honest? Our kids are not picky. They love all books! But these are some of our favorites!
- The Friend Who Forgives (and all the other Tales that Tell the Truth Series) — Faith based with beautiful illustrations
- A Brave Big Sister: A Bible Story About Miriam (Called and Courageous Girls Series)
- Dragons Love Tacos –silly fun!
- Darth Vader and Friends — for our star wars obsessed kiddos
- Olivia series — Oh, how I adore spunky, fierce Olivia
- Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night? — A favorite by all, but especially my boys
- My Father’s Dragon — great early reader!
- Little House on the Prairie series — I still read this series to relax at night
- Boxcar children series — imagination for days!
- Courageous World Changers: 50 True Stories of Daring Women of God — perfect for women’s history month!
You may just find the inspiration or escape you need right now in a book! Keep reading and learning!
We will come through this time stronger and wiser, friends.
Drop your favorite reads below so we can all find even more great books to read in quarantine!