What I love about buffalo chicken bowls…
1. First, you make it in a crockpot, er slow cooker, (remember when we learned about the terminology in this post?) so you know I’m all about that!
2. Second, the spice level is perfection! It is spicy in a “I just want to keep eating it” way not a “I can’t feel my taste buds” way. YUM!
3. Finally, it was true love because EVERYONE in my family loved it! Yes, my stubborn toddler and picky husband gobbled this up and I almost fell over when Nate asked for it to be added to our regular dinner rotation! It was that good!
How are buffalo chicken bowls healthy?
Friends, there is so much good-for-you stuff in this easy slow cooker dinner recipe!
- Quinoa – This mighty little grain is packed with protein, fiber, and healthy carbs.
- Black beans – Low in fat, sodium (as long as you rinse), and high in fiber and protein
- Sweet corn – Delicious carbohydrate! We like to get ours in the summer from a local farm and freeze a ton for the rest of the year!
- Avocado – It’s no wonder my daughter call this “candy”! Avocados have amazing flavor, plus they are a healthy fat, the kind that raises your good cholesterol and lowers your bad!
If you’re interested in other simple + healthy + tasty comfort food recipes be sure to check out my FREE 4 Week Healthy Fall Meal Plan! I’ve done all the work to plan and organize a whole months worth of meals for your family!!
Buffalo Chicken Bowls
Buffalo Chicken Bowls
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- ½ Cup Hot sauce
- 3 garlic cloves or 1 TB garlic
- 2 cups sweet corn canned or frozen, drained and dethawed
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 2 Avocados or 1/2 cup guacamole
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- Blue Cheese
- Hot sauce for topping
- Sour cream
- Combine the chicken, garlic and hot sauce in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Shred with forks after cooked. (Alternatively you can shred in a KitchenAid with the regular paddle--best kitchen hack ever!)
- Drain and rinse corn and black beans and cook over low heat until warm and tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Assemble your bowl: layer cooked quinoa, beans, corn, half an avacado diced, chicken, and blue cheese. If you like things spicy add a dash of hot sauce! For a creamy texture add a tablespoon of sour cream for each bowl.
Could I make buffalo chicken bowls on the stovetop?
Can I freeze buffalo chicken bowls?
To make this a freezer meal place chicken breasts, hot sauce, and garlic in the bag. You can add the black beans and corn to the bag as well, if you know everyone in your family wants those on their bowl. (Not everyone here does *insert eye rolls for picky eaters* so I cook those separately.) Freeze for up to six months. Defrost in the refrigerator and then place in the crockpot on low for 4 hours or place frozen into the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (Know your crockpot! This is my favorite freezer cooking cookbook that helps me turn lots of my favorite recipes into freezer meals!)
RELATED: HEALTHY + EASY BUFFALO CHICKEN WRAPS
More Healthy Buffalo Chicken Recipes
If you love this recipe be sure to pin it and share it with your friends!
Products Used in This Recipe:
Simple Crockpot – I love my no-frills slow cooker! It’s perfect for easy dinners like this one!
Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce – Gives this recipe it’s addictive spice.
Rada Cutlery Regular Paring Knife – These are so simple and cheap but they are my favorite paring knives! Easy to sharpen too!