A blog post on blogging…..we all knew it was going to come to this someday. And now, that day is here. Get excited! Or scared. Whatever. You know you’re excited. Okay, so I get a lot of questions sometimes from non-bloggers about blogging (and to be fair, a lot of people don’t care too) so I thought today I would draw back the curtain a little bit and share ways to YOU can support your favorite blogger…I won’t make you name names.
1. Read their blog. *Wow, this is some mind-blowing stuff, Kate.* Okay, just hear me out. I love it when people read my blog. I love all of you! I appreciate that you take the time out of your busy life to sit down and be a part of my world. Your attention in this huge, diverse, mile-a-minute world is something I don’t take lightly. I am so happy that you come to Kate Moving Forward to learn something, to be inspired, to feel like you’re not alone and to be challenged to live your best life.
2. Comment on their blog (or Facebook post or Instagram post or Tweet). Comments are the way bloggers know their message is resonating with you. I love comments and try to respond to each one. I used to be a huge lurker (someone who reads regularly but never comments) on blogs, but I finally got over my virtual shyness, since I’m not really a shy person anyways, and just started commenting! So if you are a “lurker” please feel free to come out from the shadows in the comments!
3. Share their post via Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest! This will make your favorite blogger love you forever! Most bloggers make it easy on you with little “share this” icons at the bottom of their blog posts. Sometimes I even pre-plan a nifty little “Tweet this” box so you can tweet with a click. Spreading the word about a blog you love is awesome and is a great way to share a topic, passion, or inspiring piece with your friends. Don’t passive-aggressively tag people in posts or tweets though, that would be #rude!
4. Interact with them on social media. Social media is kind of the lifeblood of blogging, no matter how great your content is it doesn’t matter if you don’t have eyes on it! So like your favorite bloggers Facebook page: comment on their photos and like their posts. This is huge for Facebook because of the way the algorithim works. For example, I have 700 Facebook fans on my page, but sometimes as few as 20 people will see my posts! When people comment, share or like a post on Facebook, the FB bots see that it has value and share it with more people. Similarly, liking or repinning pins gives bloggers good “juice” on Pinterest and their pins pop up in more people’s feeds, leading more people to their blog. Tweeting at a blogger or tagging them on Instagram are great ways to share your love of a blog too.
5. Be supportive of ads, affiliates and sponsored posts. Want to know a secret? I get paid to blog sometimes. It’s awesome! When I do sponsored posts I pick products that I think are great and try to incorporate them in my posts in a way that is relevant and interesting to you! I also have ads on my blog and affiliate opportunities (like when I link to products on Amazon or another site). These help offset the cost of running this blog (yes, it takes money to keep this beauty up and running!) and support me and my family. Actually, all of my “blog money” goes in our savings and will someday go to getting me an epic mom-mobile. So you can be a part of this
crime against humanity that we all know I’ve been heading toward for some time milestone through supporting Kate Moving Forward with your reading, comments, sharing and interactions.
Mostly, I just want to say thank you for being a part of my healthy living journey. I started this blog as a simple check-in for losing weight and it has become so much more than that. I’ve been blessed in so many ways and I’m excited for what is in still to come. Always moving forward.
What has been one of your favorite posts at Kate Moving Forward?
Do you have a question for me? I love questions! Sometimes I even turn them into posts! Ask away!