It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year! I’m already excited when I think about Christmas morning and the PURE JOY on my daughter’s face. Finding the perfect gift for your preschooler can be stressful, but I’m here to make it easy with my preschooler gift guide–my favorite picks for this age group AND the top picks from other trusted moms! These are the toys their 2-4 year olds play with the most and that they love for developing imagination, learning, and dexterity in early childhood.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
–Updated Christmas 2018–
Preschool Gift Guide
1. Play Kitchen – One of the BEST toys for a preschooler (boy or girl!) that will last and be used almost everyday is a play kitchen! This KidKraft Espresso is beautiful and the brand is quality! Ikea also has the Duktig Play Kitchen which is a little smaller and a little less expensive. The Little Tikes Cook n Learn is a plastic option (easier to assemble!) which looks completely amazing! We are getting our 2 1/2 year old a play kitchen for Christmas! We are almost as excited as her. She loves to help in the kitchen. She already has these Melissa and Doug Stainless Pots and Pans and we will probably get her some pretend food too! **UPDATE** Two years later our kids (we’ve added two boys since then!) still love and play with our KidKraft kitchen, that pots and pans set (none dented or broken so far) and the fruit and veggie sets!
2. Dress-up Clothes – Children’s imaginations are exploding at this age so dress up and pretend presents are perfect! This Medical Kit is perfect for encouraging your young prodigy. This Clinic Toy Vet Set is another option from one of my favorite toy brands B. toys! (Also available at Target!) Princesses and Superheroes (We have two of these capes and masks and for as cheap as they are they’ve held up well!) are pretty popular choices as well for the imaginative kiddos!
3. Things to Build – Lego Duplos are a great classic toy that encourage fine motor skills and imaginative play! If I had to pick just ONE toy for my preschooler these would be it! **UPDATE two years later I’d still say the same thing and this is one activity my 1, 2.5, and 4.5 year old can play together!** Blocks, Lincoln logs, and Magnetic Tiles are other building toys that are popular for this age group!
4. Baby Doll & Stroller – Our little girl has a beautiful Bitty Baby and I don’t regret buying it, because I love American Girl and I trust their quality, my sisters Bitty Babies from the 90s are still in great shape! If you are looking for a less expensive option this Brianna doll is super-cute! This Time-To-Eat Feeding Set is helpful for little mommy’s and daddy’s too! All of our kids have are obsessed with this shopping cart too! It’s doubled as a walker for our youngest too!
5. Tractors & Trucks – This classic Tonka Dump Truck my boys play with all the time, plus it’s super sturdy! We also love this Green Toys Tractor, Melissa and Doug Car Carrier, and Fisher Price School Bus! They are great choices for the child infatuated with things that go and sturdy enough for growing kids hauling all sorts of rocks, dirt and cars. While these are top choices for little boys, my daughter also happily scoots them around the house with her brothers!
6. Play Dough & Art Supplies – Play dough is one of my new favorite things because my daughter will play with them by herself for 30+ minutes. A genuine miracle. This Play-Doh Starter Kit comes with four colors and tools for cutting and shapes! (Love these for developing fine motor skills!) Also, whoever invented Miracle Markers needs a round of applause. Seriously. We go through crayons and coloring/sticker books like crazy so those are always welcome gifts.
7. Outdoor Play – Our kids have loved their strider bike and it has been passed down from our 4 year old to 2 year old! Our yard is always equipped with lots of playground balls, our favorite red wagon, round sleds, and this amazing water table (weather allowing). I’d love to add a nice cedar swing and playset and some digging tools to our outdoor arsenal! Outdoor play (even in winter) is so important!
7. Kid’s Tablet – We love our Amazon Fire Kids tablet! It has a 2 year covers anything replacement guarantee <<so great for kids! There are lots of fun and educational games, plus watching favorite shows and one year’s access to FreeTime which has thousands of children’s books, games, videos and activities. The Leap Pad Platinum is another well-reviewed tablet for kids if you don’t want to get a full kindle. Educational screen time makes me feel better about screen time–hope I’m not the only one! [tweetthis]From building blocks to baby dolls, I’m sure you will find something on this list PERFECT for your preschooler! [/tweetthis]
From building blocks to baby dolls, tablets to trucks I’m sure you will find something on this list PERFECT for the preschooler in your life!