Finding the perfect gift for your preschooler can be stressful, but I’m here to make it easy with 70+ of the best preschool gift ideas–both my favorite picks for this age that have stood the test of time AND the best preschooler Christmas gifts from other trusted moms!
Yup, I polled all my mom friends and these are the toys their 3-4 year olds play with the most and that moms love for developing imagination, learning, and dexterity in early childhood.
Be sure to order your preschool Christmas gifts early to beat the supply chain and shipping issues!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Updated October 2022.
70+ of the Best Preschool Gift Ideas from Trusted Moms
1. Play Kitchen –
One of the BEST toys for a preschooler (boy or girl!) that will last and be used almost everyday is a play kitchen! I also love seeing them in our kids preschool and kindergarten classrooms!
- KidKraft Espresso Kitchen — Beautiful, roomy, and the brand is quality!
- Magnolia Home Kitchen — This wooden kitchen is neutral and has a smaller footprint which can be nice!
- Barista Station — This is so cute and a great option if you don’t want to go the traditional kitchen route!
- The Little Tikes Cook n Learn is a plastic option (easier to assemble!) which looks completely amazing!
- We also love these Melissa and Doug Stainless Pots and Pans
- Wooden pretend food or soft pretend food.
- Little mixer — My daughter loved using a mixer in her kitchen!
**UPDATE** Three years later our kids (we’ve added two boys since then!) still love and play with our KidKraft kitchen, that pots and pans set (none dented or broken so far) and the fruit and veggie sets!
RELATED: 50+ NO TOY CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS
2. Dress-up and Imaginative Play –
Children’s imaginations are exploding at this age so dress up and pretend presents are perfect!
- Sturdy and Sweet Tea Set — Made of metal this little tea set will hold up to many of lemonade, hot chocolate and make-believe tea parties. One of our best loved toys and one I also gifted to our nieces!
- This Medical Kit — Perfect for encouraging your young prodigy.
- This Clinic Toy Vet Set — Another option from one of my favorite toy brands B. toys! (Also available at Target!)
- Cinderella costume is adorable! Also love this Reya costume!
- Superheroes capes and masks — We’ve had two for a couple years and for as cheap as they are they’ve held up well!
- Pretend makeup — A great set for your favorite girly-girl, especially if you don’t want to be subject to real makeup at the “beauty parlor”.
- Cash register — This sweet cash register is perfect for little hands. Comes with coins, dollars, scanner, and adding machine.
3. STEM Toys and Things to Build –
- Lego Duplos are a great classic toy that encourage fine motor skills and imaginative play! If I had to pick just ONE toy for my preschooler these would be it! **UPDATE three years later I’d still say the same thing and this is one activity my 1, 2.5, and 4.5 year old can play together!**
- Classic Wooden Blocks
- Lincoln logs
- Magnetic Tiles
- Rainbow Pebbles — I saw these at a Botanical Garden play area years ago and snapped a picture of them because they enchanted my kids. They are so unique and include artistic, motor, and building skills.
- Flower Garden Building — Your little one will enjoy building a garden all winter long!
4. Baby Doll & Stroller –
- Bitty Baby — They are pricey, but I love this doll and trust the American Girl doll quality. My 8 year old has been playing with hers since she was 2!
- Brianna doll — A less expensive, but still super-cute option. Love her hair too!
- Baby boy Jordan is a great option if you’re looking for a boy doll for your son or daughter.
- Time-To-Eat Feeding Set — Great for little mommy’s and daddy’s!
- Shopping cart — All of our kids have are obsessed with this! It’s doubled as a walker for our youngest too!
5. Tractors & Trucks –
- Classic Tonka Dump Truck — My boys play with all the time, plus it’s super sturdy! **UPDATE** we got another one for my second son and he loves it too! And they’re both in great condition after being left outside, used to carry small children, dirt piles, etc.
- Green Toys Tractor — This sturdy tractor and wagon are much loved!
- Sturdy Orange wagon — This is a great size for pulling stuffed animals, babies, and other cars around!
- Melissa and Doug Car Carrier — Our little boys loved both the semi carrier and the little cars that came with it!
- Fisher Price School Bus — This is a great size and very sturdy
- Cory Carson Playzone
These are all great choices for the child infatuated with things that go and sturdy enough for growing kids hauling all sorts of rocks, dirt and cars. While these are top choices for little boys, my daughter also happily scoots them around the house with her brothers!
6. Play Dough & Art Supplies –
- This Play-Doh Starter Kit — Comes with four colors and tools for cutting and shapes! Love these for developing fine motor skills!
- Little Passports Subscription box — This craft, discovery and play kit is a subscription box where 3-5 year olds can learn about animals and create fun playsets and games!
- Miracle Markers — These are genius. Seriously.
- We go through chubby crayons and coloring books so I always love getting them! I recommend:
- Paint with water books — Another great (low stress!) way to introduce your child to art.
- Stamp set for little hands — Love the simple shapes featured and easy to use handles.
7. Outdoor Play Gift Ideas for Preschoolers –
- Strider bike — Our kids have loved their and it has been passed down through all three of our kids!
- Playground balls — Simple, but great fun.
- Our favorite red wagon — Great for pulling kids and for kids to pull things.
- Saucer sleds — Buy early!
- Water table (weather allowing) — A great way for kids to contain water, sand or kinetic sand play.
- Small slide — This can be used outdoors when the weather is nice or inside when it’s chilly. It also folds up for storage.
- Cedar swing and playset
- Digging tools
- Stepping Stones — My 5 year old got this for his birthday and I wish we got it sooner! He and his big siblings love playing with it. The games it comes with are great for learning colors, taking turns and can be used for lots of ages and stages.
7. Kid’s Tech
Amazon Fire Kids tablet — It has a 2 year covers anything replacement guarantee <<so great for kids! There are lots of fun and educational games, plus watching favorite shows and one year’s access to FreeTime which has thousands of children’s books, games, videos and activities.
The Leap Pad Platinum — Another well-reviewed tablet for kids if you don’t want to get a full kindle. Educational screen time makes me feel better about screen time–hope I’m not the only one!
Homer Early Learning App — If you use your own ipad or device for your toddler and preschooler I highly recommend purchasing the Homer app to help them learn math, fine motor, reading and stem skills. The games keep our littles engaged and it’s nice to know they’re learning not watching other kids unwrap toys or something else ridiculous.
8. Book Gift Ideas for Preschoolers
Children’s books are one of my favorite thing to gift and receive! Here are some of our family’s favorites for this age!
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt
- Press Here
- Snowmen at Night
- Little Blue Truck
- Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
- Richard Scarry’s The Bunny Book
- Olivia and the Fairy Princesses
- What Sounds Fun to You
- Dragons Love Tacos
- The Wonderful Things You Will Be
- The World Needs Who You Were Made to Be
9. Indoor and Board Game Christmas gifts
Some super simple games are great to start with your preschooler. Don’t expect perfect cooperation, but they are a great way to learn rule following, turn taking, patience, strategy, and cooperation!
- Wooden Memory Game
- Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel
- Spot It Junior
- Bean Bag Toss
- Ball Pit — great way to get out energy on a cold day!
It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year! I’m already excited when I think about Christmas morning and the PURE JOY on my children’s faces!