Finding the perfect gift for your preschooler can be stressful, but I’m here to make it easy with my preschooler gift guide–my favorite picks for this age group AND the best preschooler Christmas gifts from other trusted moms!
Yup, I polled all my mom friends and these are the toys their 3-4 year olds play with the most and that moms love for developing imagination, learning, and dexterity in early childhood.
Be sure to order early to beat the supply chain and shipping issues that are inevitable in 2021 this holiday season.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Updated for Christmas 2021
50 of the Best Preschooler Gift Ideas from Trusted Moms
1. Play Kitchen –
One of the BEST toys for a preschooler (boy or girl!) that will last and be used almost everyday is a play kitchen! I also love seeing them in our kids preschool and kindergarten classrooms!
- This KidKraft Espresso is beautiful and the brand is quality!
- Ikea also has the Duktig Play Kitchen which is a little smaller and a little less expensive.
- The Little Tikes Cook n Learn is a plastic option (easier to assemble!) which looks completely amazing!
- We also love these Melissa and Doug Stainless Pots and Pans
- Wooden pretend food or soft pretend food.
**UPDATE** Three years later our kids (we’ve added two boys since then!) still love and play with our KidKraft kitchen, that pots and pans set (none dented or broken so far) and the fruit and veggie sets!
RELATED: 50+ NO TOY CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS
2. Dress-up and Imaginative Play –
Children’s imaginations are exploding at this age so dress up and pretend presents are perfect!
- This Medical Kit is perfect for encouraging your young prodigy.
- This Clinic Toy Vet Set is another option from one of my favorite toy brands B. toys! (Also available at Target!)
- Cinderella costume is adorable! Also love this Reya costume!
- Superheroes capes and masks. We’ve had two for a couple years and for as cheap as they are they’ve held up well!
3. STEM Toys and Things to Build –
- Lego Duplos are a great classic toy that encourage fine motor skills and imaginative play! If I had to pick just ONE toy for my preschooler these would be it! **UPDATE three years later I’d still say the same thing and this is one activity my 1, 2.5, and 4.5 year old can play together!**
- Classic Wooden Blocks
- Lincoln logs
- Magnetic Tiles
- Rainbow Pebbles — I saw these at a Botanical Garden play area years ago and snapped a picture of them because they enchanted my kids. They are so unique and include artistic, motor, and building skills.
4. Baby Doll & Stroller –
Our little girl has a beautiful Bitty Baby and I don’t regret buying it, because I love American Girl and I trust their quality, my sisters Bitty Babies from the 90s are still in great shape!
- If you are looking for a less expensive option this Brianna doll is super-cute!
- This Time-To-Eat Feeding Set is helpful for little mommy’s and daddy’s too!
- All of our kids have are obsessed with this shopping cart too! It’s doubled as a walker for our youngest too!
5. Tractors & Trucks –
- This classic Tonka Dump Truck my boys play with all the time, plus it’s super sturdy! **UPDATE** we got another one for my second son and he loves it too! And they’re both in great condition after being left outside, used to carry small children, dirt piles, etc.
- Green Toys Tractor,
- Melissa and Doug Car Carrier, and
- Fisher Price School Bus
- Cory Carson Playzone
These are all great choices for the child infatuated with things that go and sturdy enough for growing kids hauling all sorts of rocks, dirt and cars. While these are top choices for little boys, my daughter also happily scoots them around the house with her brothers!
6. Play Dough & Art Supplies –
Play dough is one of my new favorite things because my daughter will play with them by herself for 30+ minutes. A genuine miracle.
- This Play-Doh Starter Kit comes with four colors and tools for cutting and shapes! (Love these for developing fine motor skills!)
- We also got our daughter this busy box full art supplies!
- Also, whoever invented Miracle Markers needs a round of applause. Seriously.
- We go through chubby crayons and coloring books like crazy so those are always welcome gifts.
- Paint with water books are another great (low stress!) way to introduce your child to art.
7. Outdoor Play Gift Ideas for Preschoolers –
- Our kids have loved their strider bike and it has been passed down from our 4 year old to 2 year old!
- Playground balls,
- Our favorite red wagon,
- Saucer sleds
- Water table (weather allowing).
7. Kid’s Tablet
We love our Amazon Fire Kids tablet! It has a 2 year covers anything replacement guarantee <<so great for kids! There are lots of fun and educational games, plus watching favorite shows and one year’s access to FreeTime which has thousands of children’s books, games, videos and activities.
The Leap Pad Platinum is another well-reviewed tablet for kids if you don’t want to get a full kindle. Educational screen time makes me feel better about screen time–hope I’m not the only one!
8. Book Gift Ideas for Preschoolers
Children’s books are one of my favorite thing to gift and receive! Here are some of our family’s favorites for this age!
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt
- Press Here
- Snowmen at Night
- Little Blue Truck
- Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
- Richard Scarry’s The Bunny Book
- Olivia and the Fairy Princesses
- What Sounds Fun to You
- Dragons Love Tacos
- The Wonderful Things You Will Be
- The World Needs Who You Were Made to Be
9. Indoor and Board Game Christmas gifts
Some super simple games are great to start with your preschooler. Don’t expect perfect cooperation, but they are a great way to learn rule following, turn taking, patience, strategy, and cooperation!
- Wooden Memory Game
- Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel
- Spot It Junior
- Bean Bag Toss
- Ball Pit — great way to get out energy on a cold day!
It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year! I’m already excited when I think about Christmas morning and the PURE JOY on my children’s faces!
From building blocks to baby dolls, tablets to trucks I’m sure you will find the perfect gift idea for the preschooler in your life!
Be sure to order early to beat the supply chain and shipping issues that are inevitable this holiday season.